November 19, 2016

LEGO Food Truck LEGO Ideas Project Review


Overview
This project by TheLegoCreator is a Food Truck for the busy minifigures of LEGO City. This particular food truck is conveniently located street side where the residents of LEGO City can stop by on their lunch break, or after work, to grab a quick bite to eat. For more information, you can visit this project on LEGO Ideas by clicking here.

Appeals of this Project
There are several food truck themed projects on LEGO Ideas that I could have highlighted, but this particular project stood out to me for a couple reasons. First, there are very few food truck projects that include a bit of scenery, which I personally feel is something that is necessary for a set centered around a vehicle to be complete (look at many of the LEGO City shows this is often the case, though there are some exceptions). Not only is the scenery something that makes this a project that could be a set "as is", but it is also very well thought out and designed. I like the street lamps and the little sidewalk sign that advertise for the food truck as well as the standing tables where customers can enjoy the food they just purchased. 

Second, I think this particular project has great playability and numerous details.One of the details that really stick out to me is the purchasing window. I like how the side folds out so easily, and based on the project description it seems like it should stay open without issues as there is a lock pin holding it open, though I cannot seem to get a good view of it in any of the pictures. (If you find it let me know in a comment below!) There is some nice strip lighting under the fold out wall/awning, and the ketchup and mustard dispensers built into the truck next to the window. On the other side, I really appreciate the inclusion of details such as the vent for the grill, and what I am guessing is a small A/C unit to keep the cooks cool as they serve up hot food.

The non customer side also swings open and the roof comes off to allow easy access to the interior, which greatly enhances the playability of this model. The interior is packed full of all the necessities for running a kitchen on wheels. There is a grill, fridge, sink, fire extinguisher (in case of emergencies), soap dispenser, and cabinet full of cooking utensils. Something else that I think adds a lot to the playability as well as the realistic appearance of this model is the side door where the cooks can enter and exit the kitchen portion of the food truck. As a kid growing up, it was doors like this that really made the LEGO models a lot of fun for me because I could open them up and make my minifigures go through to get into and out of the vehicle.

Areas for Improvement
There is really not much to improve with this project. Some people might argue that the predominately white color scheme is too bland, but when I think of food trucks, I think this fits in. Yes, there are some food trucks that are brightly colored and hard to miss, but there are also some that are very basic in their appearance. Though it might be nice just to see what another version of this truck in say, mostly blue or lime green would look like, I also think the white serves this vehicle very nicely.

Conclusion
I must say that I really like this LEGO Food Truck. There is a good balance of details and playability in this project, and I believe this would a wonderful set if it reaches 10,000 supporters and passes the Official LEGO Ideas Review Process. To see more pictures and offer your support to help this become a set, you can visit the project on LEGO Ideas here. Not sure how LEGO Ideas works? Click here to find out more.

Photos used and review completed with the permission of TheLegoCreator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments in line with the comment guidelines under the "Guidelines & FAQs" section or this site.